Monday, June 6, 2011

Soccer, continued

In my last post, I talked about soccer, so I'd like to continue with that topic. I mentioned that Manchester United lost to Barcelona in the Champions League final, and that Manchester United hadn't really found a way to fight against Barcelona convincingly. One interesting aspect of the match is that Manchester United kept Barcelona pegged back for a short time at the beginning of the match, and that at one point the manager, Alex Ferguson, got angry with Wayne Rooney. One theory is that Rooney's main job was to mark Busquets and thus to stop Barcelona's attacks from the beginning, but that he was more interested in attacking so Busquets had too much freedom to play. Thus, the manager was angry with him for neglecting his defensive duties. Interestingly, Manchester's play seemed to get worse after the altercation, so some think that Rooney became angry with the manager and ignored his instructions.

Another recent match was England against Switzerland. England conceded 2 early goals but came back to draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment