Monday, September 25, 2017

Movies in summer and autumn

Every year seems to have movie cycles. In the US, movies that are aiming for Academy Awards tend to be released in the autumn. Other movies that aim to get very large audiences are often released in the summer vacation or just before the winter vacation.
The difference between US and Japan release dates makes things a bit complicated. Some of the very biggest movies are released at the same time in both countries. But smaller movies tend to be released several months later in Japan. In the first half of the year, movies showing in Japan are often movies that won Academy Awards for the previous year.
Anyway, there are usually some big movies showing in both the winter and summer vacation, both Hollywood movies and local productions. Sometimes, the same movies show for a very long time on a large number of screens, meaning that there is a lack of variety.
This past summer, Wonder Woman was one of the biggest movies. I enjoyed it, though I do have a bit of superhero movie fatigue now. I think Fanny's Journey was actually more enjoyable. This autumn, It and Wind River are two of the Hollywood hits. I'm not sure when they are coming to Japan, though.
[205 words]

No comments:

Post a Comment